The National Communication to UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) is a reporting obligation of all Parties to the UNFCCC. This national report communicates the actions parties are taking to fulfil the objectives of the Convention and contain information on:
- National circumstances of the country
- Inventory of Greenhouse Gases for a given base year
- Actions taken to mitigate emission of greenhouse gases
- Actions needed or taken to adapt to the adverse impacts of climate change
- Any other information that may be relevant (capacity building, awareness, technology needs)
The frequency of the reporting differs if a party is in Annex I of the Convention or not. Annex I parties (developed countries) submit these reports more frequently. Developing countries called Non-Annex I parties have report less frequently on a schedule that is determined by a decision of the Conference of Parties and is dependent on funding being made available. Least Developed Countries (LDCs) can submit their national communications based on ability and circumstances.
Bhutan submitted its Initial National Communication (INC) in December 2000. The Second National Communication (SNC) from Bhutan was submitted to the UNFCCC in November 2011.
The SNC Process
The national communication process is not only a reporting obligation but it also provides an opportunity to communicate our concerns and priorities for climate change to the international community. The process also provides capacity building and awareness through the preparation of the report by national teams. The SNC from Bhutan was a prepared over a three year consultative process that included the following activities:
- Participation of stakeholders from all agencies and organisations including NGOs and private sector in several task forces for GHG inventory, Mitigation and Vulnerability and Adaptation
- Capacity building was provided to members of task forces, and other stakeholders through several training workshops, seminars and tours on:
- GHG inventory
- Climate modelling
- Vulnerability and adaptation assessment
Publicity and information materials were also prepared through this project.
Download large size posters below:
The preparation of the SNC from Bhutan was funded as an Enabling Activity through funding from the Global Environment Facility through UNDP-Bhutan.
SNC V&A Technical Report (.pdf 6.29MB)
SNC Climate Scenario Maps (.zip 15.1MB)
Bhutan Maps (.rar 0.97GB)
23176total visits,43visits today